Are you looking for a property management company that will provide you with professional, consistent, competent and high quality business guidance and service? One that consistently applies high standards to the services offered to landlords and tenants alike?
If yes, continue reading below about Chesapeake Property Management, Inc. which opened in 1997.
Chesapeake Property Management is the kind of company that you can count on to manage your property as if it were your own. We realize that tenants are as important as landlords for successfully-managed properties. Unlike other management companies, we don't refer to the number of 'doors' we manage. We focus on the families living in those properties. Each door is actually a home and it is important to remember that.
Here are a few other aspects to think about when you are considering property management companies:
- Did you know that many property management companies hold leases in their name rather than the landlord's name? When that happens, the landlord signs away their right to approve leases or tenants, and control over the property is gone. This process used to be necessary, but technology has made it easier to keep landlords in the loop and fully apprised of any situation. Chesapeake Property Management only holds leases in the landlord's name, so you know what is happening with your property every step of the way.
- Many property management companies advertise low teaser rates, hiding landlord fees and service charges. We prefer to be transparent with costs so landlords know what to expect and can budget appropriately.
For many property management companies, evictions are acceptable and a source of additional landlord fees. From our experience, evictions mean that, as a property management company, we have not done our homework upfront. Evictions are expensive and messy, and involve legal proceedings. During that time, landlords don't receive rent and cannot determine the condition of their property. Why let that happen?
Chesapeake Property Management has had less than eight evictions in the 25+ years of property management business. This is because we spend much time handling the details upfront. Rather than outsource tenant applications and approvals, we handle all applications and approvals in-house. Most property managers outsource the applications and approvals, which can lead to higher eviction rates (See Why Tenant Qualification Is Important.)
Check whether your property management company requires insurance. Chesapeake Property Management requires tenant insurance just as we require that landlords have insurance. We also ensure that the proper rental licenses and inspections are in place for the jurisdiction and county. Based on our experience, we know that the unexpected happens. Tenants and landlords thank us for helping them protect themselves in case issues come up.
- Many property management companies provide services through in-house maintenance resources, charging mark-up fees. Often, licenses and insurance are not checked. To offer services to landlords and tenants, we have built relationships with trustworthy vendors who are licensed, insured, and experts in what they do. Their rates are competitive, and we charge no mark-up fees. Furthermore, we have no incentive to be inefficient in managing maintenance matters.
We know that landlords concern themselves about two questions related to tenants:
1. Will the rent be paid on time every month without any issues?
2. Will my home be taken care of in my absence?
A good property management company does everything possible to give the landlord peace-of-mind that these two primary worries are nothing to be concerned about. We do this through intense attention to detail, our industry experience, and the systems we have put in place.
We have noticed over the years that there is a bigger picture that goes beyond being a one-time tenant or landlord event. Becoming a tenant is a step in a journey. From there, tenants may buy a home, sell it, or even become a landlord. The rental property makes sense as part of a financial plan.
We realize that we are part of transitioning people through a process. That realization means that providing professional, consistent, competent and high quality business guidance and service matters a great deal to our tenants and landlords. Otherwise, why would they leave such terrific reviews for Chesapeake Property Management?
What matters to you in a property management company? How can we help you with your rental or home management needs? Let us know in the comments.